Many homeowners dream of having a sparkling pool in the garden. A wonderfully clean pool with deck chairs to relax in after a hard day at work seems like a great idea. For many people this starts off as the perfect dream and then deteriorates into a nightmare as the pool loses that gleam of clean water.
To enjoy your pool to the full extent, it is important that the water and the pool itself are kept clean. If pools are not properly maintained, algae will grow and eventually the water will turn green.
Leaves which are not removed from the pool will cause even the best filter to clog up and soon stop working.
Having an automatic pool cleaner is a great idea because it does not need you to even be there to clean the pool. You can set the cleaner to start while you are out and by the time you get home, your pool will be sparkling clean.
There are several ways to keep your pool clean, and using a robotic pool cleaner is one of the best. They are also great for extra large pools where you cannot reach into the middle to scoop out any leaves.
Why invest in a robotic cleaner?
The number one reason to buy a robotic cleaner is that they are not attached to the pool. You simply install it and plug it in to start work.
The advantages of a robotic cleaner
- They are versatile and very efficient. They are suitable for pools of any size and can collect a large amount of debris. Even large leaves can be collected.
- Suitable for both tiled and vinyl pools. The cleaner will work its way around the pool, no matter what the surface is made of. Most cleaners come with their own filtration system which makes them even more effective.
- Environmentally friendly. Robotic cleaners do not release any chemicals or toxins into the atmosphere while they work.
- They need very little maintenance. All you need to do is empty the filter bag, give it a rinse and replace it. The cleaner is then ready to carry on.
- They do not rely on any other pumps or even the filtration system of the pool, which means that they are very energy efficient.
- They work fast. Your robotic cleaner will clean the pool quickly, not stopping for breaks.
Types of robotic pool cleaners
These come in three different categories.
Automatic boost pump cleaners
Here the external booster pump will create a suction and drives the unit around the pool. Debris is then collected in a bag which you need to empty.
Automatic suction pump cleaners
These are great for above ground pools and those with equal depth all round. The vacuum hose is attached to the plate in the skimmer point of the pool. When the unit is turned on a suction is created, and the auto cleaner moves around the pool. It will randomly move to collect dirt and debris which gets deposited in the sand filter.
Automatic electric pool cleaners
These cleaners have a low voltage motor which creates a strong drive and suction action. This cleaner works independently from the filtration system in the pool. The cleaner will climb up the pool sides and up any steps. You can programme the cleaner to do a fast and intensive clean or a less intense cycle.
What to look for in a robotic pool cleaner
Before you spend any money on a robotic cleaner, there are some things to think about. There are many cleaners on the market, and you need to be sure you are buying a trustworthy one that will last many years without needing to be replaced.
- Never buy a robotic pool cleaner unless the company offers a warranty. If they are not prepared to stand by their product, then you should avoid it. Warranties can be anywhere between 3 – 5 years. You may pay more for a cleaner with a longer warranty, and this is your choice.
- Energy efficiency. The product description as well as talking to the salesperson should give you energy efficient levels which you can compare between different cleaners. Again, the price will vary depending on just how efficient the cleaner is.
- Some cleaners will be able to clean pools which different levels, while some can only clean a flat surface. Some will be able to go up stairs and work on different levels. You will get what you pay for here, so it is up to you to decide what you want your cleaner to do.
- Technical problems. You will be able to read about technical issues in the review section of the cleaner. You should see comments like good customer service and quick response to questions. If you see more bad reviews about technical issues, then look at a different cleaner.
- Reviews and ratings. It is always a good idea to read the reviews and see what other people have said about the product. There may be one or two bad reviews but the product you choose should have mostly positive comments. If not, you may want to choose a different cleaner.
- Spare parts. You should be able to get spare parts easily, whether you get them from an online store or a shop in the high street. Waiting a month for a spare part will leave you with a dirty pool.
- You may think that because you pay top of the range prices you will get a better cleaner. This is not always the case, although you will normally get what you pay for. It makes sense to avoid the ‘bargain bin’ and buy something in the mid-range.
To sum up
While summer is a great time for frolicking in the pool, you should keep in mind that a dirty pool is a source of bacteria and can cause infection. Having a robotic cleaner slowly working away to keep your pool sparkling clean will be one of the best investments you can buy.